25 May 2012

Day 13: You Get Up

"I often wonder if the world has it all wrong. Is it really a good thing to work 40, 50, 60 hours a week for scraps of paper we exchange for goods - most of which are wholly unnecessary - and get caught up in a cycle of wanting and acquiring and becoming indebted and trapped, when really at our core we're just animals with higher thinking abilities? 
Then I remember that I really do like bad reality TV, and buying prepackaged foods, and having fast transportation, and keeping my home at a temperate 73 degrees, and heading off to Best Buy for Lost, Season 1. And then I go to work."
I think I want a job that challenges me. I think I want to get an English degree and write and go to grad school and write some more and eat ramen and somehow understand human suffering and along the way write The Great Azerbaijani Novel. I think I don't want to be like my dad. I think I want to do something different, more challenging, more fulfilling than everybody else.

Then I remember I can go get a PR degree and come home from a shitty day and eat and watch and do whatever the fuck I want. Actually sounds pretty awesome - and also horrifyingly mundane and fundamentally pathetic, of course - but not bad. Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment